I believe that video will be standard in job postings within the next 5 years.
Technology is easy to use and video gives you such a tremendous advantage. Active and passive job seekers network through referrals first. What do they do after that?
Most people in Minneapolis tell me Linkedin, Craigslist, and various other websites.
Take control of your hiring destiny by picking up your SmartPhone, making a quick video, and posting it online. You’ll be glad you did.
Pick The Most Relevant People For The Video
You will receive better and more accurate interest from candidates if you show the following:
- Video should focus on founders, leaders, hiring manager, and/or team members.
- Footage should be captured of the current team the candidate will be on.
- You should show the office environment where they will be working.
Answer These Questions In Your Video
Use video to show the culture and vision for your company. A few sample questions you can answer on camera include:
- Why do you work for the company?
- Why does a top candidate want to work for your company?
- What will the candidate be working on during their first 6 months, and what is their growth potential?
Pay Attention To A Few Key Production Steps
Candidates like to see videos that are real and raw. Go ahead and use your SmartPhone, and employ these tips:
- Each video clip should be 2 minutes or less.
- Videos should focus on emotion and vision NOT reading the job description.
- Project your voice and look at the camera when speaking for clarity. Do not underestimate this if you are not using a microphone.
- Remember to smile! A smile will act as a magnet with the audience. Do not underestimate this part either.
- Choose a place to shoot video where you have bright overhead lighting for quality footage. Light is incredibly important for a good video.
Start Now, And Get Ahead Of The Competition
Malcolm Gladwell’s book Outliers talks about the process of becoming an expert in one’s field.He found that the main way to become an expert is by having 10,000 hours of practice in your chosen field.
He provided an example of the Beatles honing their craft in a bar in Hamburg, Germany before becoming mega-superstars.You may not become an expert in video, nor may you want to be. However, you will quickly get better at producing videos for jobs you are hiring for if you start now.
I’ve done over 20 in the last few months, and can see a significant difference from the 1st one, to the 5th one, and ultimately the 20th one. Follow these steps, and you’ll be sure to see the same.